Thursday, September 16, 2010

labor day weekend - part 1

A couple Saturdays ago, I decided to go hiking with my dad and brother. I honestly don't know what came over me.. agreeing to climb a mountain with two avid hikers. I guess I just thought, "pshh.. how hard could it be?" And well.. basically, I realized it was dumb of me to think that I could keep up with them. After all, I'm the type of person who likes to take leisurely walks.. through the mall.

We woke up at 5:30am, got ready, left the house at 6:15, and headed toward the mountains.

Destination: Icehouse Canyon. From the freeway, it looked harmless enough.

At 7:00am, we began our hike.

We saw nature.. lots of it. In various shapes and forms. Like this tree, here. It's bambi!

I call this, "pinecone graveyard." can you see my feet?

uhh.. self explanatory. tree bark.

At approx. 10am, we reached the top of icehouse canyon. and then we had brunch. shin ramen!
It was freaking delicious.

How come korean dads never smile?

holy leaf. (photo credit: peter)

(photo credit: peter)

Little, itty-bitty, teeny-weeny waterfall.

We reached the bottom at 12pm. I was happy to see cars. And a little confused to see...

llamas.

We covered 7.5 miles in 5 hours - 3.5 hours going up, 1.5 hours coming down. If it weren't for me, my dad and brother probably could have finished this hike MUCH sooner. I mean, I didn't mean to get carsick on the way there.. and I didn't mean to be incredibly out shape, thus making hiking up those ridiculous inclines insanely difficult. Oh well. And now, I will end this post by quoting my dad:

"Peter, when you go work out, take Hannah with you. She's really out of shape."

I think he said that 10 minutes into the hike.

1 comment:

jessymessy said...

haha... your dad is funny. i love the photos hannah!